The Grand Inheritance is a 1790 Southern Mansion built by Major David Wilson, a North Carolina Hero of the American Revolution. Wilson was a key figure in the formation of the State of Tennessee in 1796 when Tennessee became a state that was formerly North Carolina’s Western Territory. He also was a founding member of Sumner County, and the city of Gallatin. In addition to his service in the American Revolution...
Information regarding the property: The very first road in Sumner County was cut from this location originally named "Wilson Road." It was later changed to "Hix Lane" after James & Fanny Hix who owned the property during the 1940's. There are four layers of brick encasing the original house. In the attic of the main house there is evidence of an age and time never to return as buffalo hair sprouts from the mortar, reinforcing the structure. Also there are "bullet holes" showing in specific areas of the home due to the many battles fought here. Because of Wilson’s strong associations, guests such as Andrew Jackson, Daniel Smith, and others who are forefront to Middle Tennessee frequented the home. The home was also used during the War of 1812. The home served as one of the first Pony Express routes and was used as a planning headquarters during the Civil War. During World War II, this property was used for military maneuvers that featured the combined forces of tanks and infantry under the command of General George Patton, who stayed in the home. Fannie Hix took an active role in hosting the soldiers by preparing gravy and biscuits for their morning breakfast. Her grandson, Robert Hix recalls watching the large tanks he saw from the front windows of the home and later playing in the deep ruts created by the Army tanks during World War II in 1944. The military operation showed their gratitude and appreciation of Fannie’s kindness by leaving highly rationed fuel behind for her perusal. Mike and Brenda Scott purchased the home in 2002 and have done significant renovations. They named it “The Grand Inheritance” in honor of their forefathers, both spiritually and naturally (Ephesians 1:11-14) and their eternal inheritance (1 Peter 1:4). On February 14, 2006, Governor Phil Bredesen honored the Scotts with a House Joint Resolution (No. 758) for their renovation and preservation of this Historical Landmark.
The Scott’s built a 3,200 sq. ft. ballroom on the property for weddings, business meetings, music events, etc. There is also a large banquet room inside the mansion for group meetings, rehearsal and private dinners, etc.